Tuesday, May 5, 2015

 
I don't know about you but I can fall in to the trap of comparison.  Yesterday was a perfect example.  I have started training for a triathlon.  Its been nearly ten years since I have done much swimming other than for fun. 
 
Yesterday was my third training swim.  I started out well and swam half the distance I will be swimming in the race.  I was feeling pretty good and then something happened.  Another swimmer jumped in next to me.  At a glance, I decided that she must be a bit older than me.  I am competitive so after a couple of laps I noticed that she was faster than me.  I picked up my pace and tried to catch her but could not.  I started getting really down on myself and then I noticed something that changed everything.
 
I caught a glimpse of something just below the surface.  Fins!!!  She had fins on her feet while she was swimming.  Now wonder I could not keep up with her. 
 
What is my point in sharing this?  To let you know that I struggle with comparison?  Ok its true but here is my point.  We don't see what's blow the surface when we make comparisons.  Each of us has our own unique story so when we make comparisons based on what we see on the surface we will always be disappointed.  God made each of us unique and each of us has something special to contribute to this world. 
 
We need to stop focusing on trying to be better than others and focus on getting better every day.   When we do this we are sure to succeed.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment